“Score one for the little guy!” describes Makita’s LS0714 Quad 10 Amp 7-1/2-Inch Single Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Sawperfectly. It’s small and light, but it’s also powerful, smooth, and extremely accurate with a large capacity for such a small miter saw. Delivering features like electronic speed control with both soft start and electronic braking, incredible dust collection, and glass smooth cuts, the LS0714 is ideal for the both the home do-it-yourselfer / woodworker and a range of professionals including finish carpenters, floor installers, remodelers, and general contractors.
Makita LS0714 Features
Unless you absolutely need the greater capacity of a larger miter saw, Makita’s LS0714 will take whatever you throw at it with no problem. Users report that it performs flawlessly whether you’re cutting pressure treated lumber or dense hardwood, with plenty of power for any job. Accurate right out of the box, the LS0714 is able to handle 2″ x 12″ lumber at 0° miter / 0°bevel, and 2″ x 8″ at 45° miter / 0° bevel. A hold down clamp is provided on the left side and does a good job of keeping stock in place.
A Small Sophisticated Powerhouse
The LS0714′s 10 AMP, 6,000 RPM direct-drive motor employs electronic speed control to improve performance, and is designed to never slip or bog down like belt-drive units. The high 6,000 RPM speed is one of the factors delivering glass smooth cuts. Power to cut through even the densest hardwood is made user-friendly by the soft start and electronic brake features. Owners indicate that both the soft start and brake are very fast (near instant start-up / stops in a second or two).
Extreme LS0714 Accuracy
The Makita LS0714 achieves it’s tremendous accuracy through a combination of both features and general characteristics. The 7-1/2″ miter saw blade has no flex or wobble, which can be a consideration with larger blades. Makita’s four rail (two top, two bottom) / four linear ball bearing design keeps saw head deflection to a minimum, even with a long sliding distance. A large machined aluminum base with “buttery smooth” miter table movement provides additional stability. Users generally indicate that the Makita miter saw blade included with the package is excellent, producing smooth, fast cuts.
Note: According to users, the linear ball bearings on the Makita LS0714 may require a very short break-in period before they smooth out.
REALLY Good Dust Collection
Dust collection on miter saws is usually questionable, with a 50-75% capture rate being very acceptable. However, the Makita LS0714 delivers dust collection that draws rave reviews from most users, some saying that while it’s excellent with just the included dust bag, it collects virtually all the dust connected to a shop vac.
- “The most surprising feature is the dust collection, it works. I hooked it up to my shop vac and did a bunch of test cuts and only a trace of dust ended up on my bench.“
The LS0714 – Maximum Portability Built Solid
At 27.6 lbs. this miter saw is light in weight, but no lightweight when it comes to fit, finish, and a soild build. Obviously, close tolerances and attention to detail during assembly contribute to the LS0714′s superb accuracy and solid feel.
- “This is the lightest, best machined, miter saw I have ever used (and I have used them all). Easily transported to third floors. It is great for about 85% of the work we do and we do major renovations and lots of trim work.“
- “The overall feel and sound of this saw is that of a quality built piece. I’m pretty sure that this will be the last saw I’ll ever need and recommend it highly.“
- “The fit and finish are exceptional.“
The most common complaint was the limited selection and high price of 7-1/2″ miter saw blades, but several users suggested 7-1/4″ blades made for circular saws worked well and were less expensive. The Makita blade included in the package got high marks for quality. Some users wished there was a hold down clamp on the right side in addition to the one on the left, and others would have liked a dual bevel feature, but these were considered more a wishlist as opposed to flaws.
What do owners have to say about the Makita LS0714 7-1/2-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw?
This little miter saw has gotten rave reviews from online users, and is currently rated 4.9 out of 5 by reviewers on Amazon.com. Here are some of their comments:
- “Smooth action and portable size have made it essential, my 10″ sits at home while this one travels job to job. As a finish guy I rarely need to cut anything over 2″ thick, I cut mouldings on the flat. This saw is perfect, you’re crazy to consider anything else.”
- “As a professional remodeler who doesn’t cut crown often this is the best take along saw you can buy, and it will be the only saw you use 97% of the time.”
- “This “little” gem is exactly what this 1st time home owner / avid do-it-yourself-er remodel-er needed. For 99% of what I need to do – decking, raised garden beds, shelving, coping, trim, etc. this little power house is perfect.”
- “The factory supplied blade is excellent, the best I have ever had come with a power tool.”
- “This saw I have had for several years now – it is light , functions flawlessly ever time , only wish blades were more common size…or 8 -1/4″ size better yet – if you need a finish saw or very mobile unit for interior work etc. this is a top pick period.”
- “I would highly recommend this saw to anybody needing a accurate saw for finish work.”
- “The overall quality of the machine is first rate. All the movements are silky smooth and it was perfect out of the box. Even the dust collector works, capturing the majority of the sawdust.”
- “I bought this small/light weight saw to handle interior trim work…WOW! what a saw! Very smooth in handling and cutting, very powerful fast cutting motor/blade combo, very clean exact cuts right out of the box.”
- “But it is so accurate, you can cut thicker items without much trouble. It’s quick, clean. light weight. You can shave off paper-thin slices of wood (really).”
- “Great saw – do yourself a favor – stop waffling like I was, and just buy it. The five star ratings on here are dead-on.”