Whether sawing firewood or chopping trees: a chainsaw is a good helper, with the support of which such work can be done quickly and reliably. Here you will find the best chainsaw under $200 currently available in stores, and you can compare the technical features of the individual tools directly with one another. You can see at a glance how the models differ and what special features and convenience functions are offered. You can get a good unit for this price.
A cheap chainsaw is not always an inferior product. In fact, there are many cases where it is better than more expensive machines. The reason is that these units do not have to meet the same high demands as their more expensive counterparts. They are therefore cheaper and easier to maintain. And if they still break down after some time, then you may simply replace them without having to pay for a new machine.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Chainsaw Under $200
- Last Words
Top 5 Best Chainsaw Under $200
1. WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch
This is a 15 amp motor chainsaw, the bar goes 12 meters per second, but the chain gauge is 0.05 inch. This WG304.1 model is very light, and it weighs 11 pounds. Anyone will be able to handle it with no problem.
Some of the functions include an auto chain brake for safety. Also, it has an automatic oiler that comes in handy. It also has an automatic chain tensioner on the side.
A thing I don’t like about this chainsaw is the placement of the oil filter cap. It would be a problem for people that have bigger hands.
If you think about renting one for a big job, don’t do that. It is one of the most affordable chainsaws, and that’s as much you need to rent a chainsaw for a day.
The benefit of this tool is that you don’t have to worry about mixing oil and gasoline. When you are done with it, you clean it off and put it in the garage, and you are done. That shows the convenience of this unit, compared to other heavy-duty chainsaws that offer more power. This is obviously not for a professional. If you are one and want to cut down big trees, you’ll want to use gasoline chainsaws. But if you are a homeowner that just wants to cut some firewood, this really fits the bill, and you will be happy with it.
- Even at higher prices, you get up to 16-inch bar guides in most cases. In this case, having an 18-inch at such a lower price is quite surprising.
- Since you don’t have to mix oil and gasoline for this budget chainsaw, there’s no emission of harmful gases. This feature can be something usual inexpensive saws but not at this price range.
- Even with the powerful motor, the company managed to offer less vibration.
- As the saw is all about metal all over the body, you can expect high durability.
- Another noticeable feature is its automatic oiling, so you don’t have to keep an eye on the oil section.
- It has a very good build quality and feels solid in my hand
- The battery cover is removable so that you can replace the battery yourself
- The case is made of metal which makes it quite heavy
- You get two rubber feet to keep the phone stable on flat surfaces
- The screen protector comes preinstalled
- There are no annoying stickers or logos on the back
- Noise levels are pretty high – this is partly due to the fact that it’s made of plastic
- The case is easy to scratch
- The buttons are also easy to press accidentally
2. Blue Max 6595 18-Inch Chainsaw
This chainsaw is hard to miss because of the blue styling. The Blue Max 6595 is easy to use because of the 45cc engine.
With this product, you can do work around the neighbourhood or at your house. It has a gas motor, and it has an excellent price if you want to do quick clean up jobs.
If you want to cut small or medium-sized trees, the Max 6595 will do the job. It can do limbing, felling, cut firewood and clear storm damage.
Some features include the 18-inch blade, which is useful if you want to do large jobs. Some of the safety features include the rapid reaction kickback brake, safety trigger, handguard, stop claw and safety lock.
To make the most out of this chainsaw, you’ll need to lubricate the sprocket tip of the saw. Do this every 10 hours for maximum performance.
It comes with a few accessories: plug wrench, mixing bottle (for oil and gas mixing), and bar cover.
It weighs 18 lbs, so if you are gonna use it for a lot of hours, you will experience fatigue. But heavy doesn’t necessarily mean bad, it also makes the cut easier, because you don’t have to apply a lot of pressure manually.
One of the downsides is that it might be difficult to start for inexperienced users, and it’s a bit heavy.
So you should definitely purchase this chainsaw, if you are experienced, you want to do medium cutting work, and you don’t want to spend a lot of money.
- The saw comes in a hard case which can be challenging for transportation and easy portability, but it’s great for protection.
- As the previous one, this one also features an 18-inch-long chain guide which comes at a lower price and is ideal for cutting large materials.
- Its CDI Ignition System is quite unique, which makes the start-ups relatively easy.
- Even if you’re busy cutting wood and can’t keep an eye on its maintenance, its automatic oiler keeps the machine lubricated without your command.
- It’s heavier than many chainsaws but lighter than a few in the same price range.
What I liked about Blue Max 6595 is that it has a very good battery life. It can last up to 7 hours on one charge, which is really great for an LED flashlight. It also has a nice beam pattern and the range of light is pretty decent.
The only thing I didn’t like was how heavy this flashlight is. It feels quite solid and sturdy but at the same time it’s not as lightweight as other flashlights in its class.
3. Husqvarna 240, 14 in. Chainsaw
The 240 delivers 38 CC power and is 10.3 lbs. So this is already an advantage considering its price. Even though it has a 16-inch max bar, you can cut 20-inch wood pieces with no problem.
It is effortless to use because of its low weight and anti-vibration technology. If you are looking for a powerhouse, this saw isn’t it, but if you are looking for something to cut around the house with, this is it.
The 240 has a few safety features; it has the bar designed, so it does reduce the kickback. To protect the hand, it comes with a thick front guard. Other features include the air injection that filters out debris. This will improve the life of the chainsaw and allows the motor to have a bigger performance at a lower cost.
Some of Husqvarna 240 38.2cc pros include: the price, it has comfortable handling with low vibration, the large guide bar, and X-tork technology for less toxic fumes.
One of the downsides is the power that is 2 HP maximum, which is ideal only for softwood and lightweight jobs.
We think that semi-professionals or beginners should purchase this chainsaw. It surely can be used by more experienced professionals, but that’s not the intention of this product. If you don’t have a lot of woodcutting to do, this is ideal. If your job doesn’t have material bigger than 32-inches in diameter, this will do the job perfectly.
- It’s not the most powerful chainsaw but having a 38cc engine at this price range is something worth mentioning.
- You can never end up with a lighter chainsaw under 200 dollars, but this one is the most lightweight chainsaw you can have at this range.
- Most expensive chainsaws feature X-Torque Technology for convenient use, and you get this technology even at a lower price in this chainsaw.
- Since it’s lightweight, you can expect lower vibration because of its powerful and comfortable handling.
- The flying debris gets caught by this machine which makes the air intake less dirty for easy maintenance.
It has a very high quality and powerful engine. It also comes with an easy to use chain brake system which makes the job of cutting down trees much easier. The saw blade is made from stainless steel so you can be sure that your work will not get damaged even if you are using this tool for long hours.
It does not come with any accessories such as a battery charger, extra oil or fuel tank. However, these things do not affect its performance in any way. If you want to buy a chainsaw then this one is definitely worth considering because it is affordable and reliable.
4. Remington 41AY4216983 RM4216CS
For those who want to find an affordable gas-powered chainsaw, the Remington RM4216 has got you covered. This power tool boasts a 2-stroke 42cc engine and a 16″ bar to cut through 8″ trees and thick branches effortlessly.
This model is quite versatile, and a low-kickback chain helps a lot when operating. The product comes with bar and chain oil and a sturdy carrying case, which will allow you to take it anywhere you need. With its 5-point anti-vibration system and a large soft handle, this saw will provide the maximum level of comfort. The adjustable automatic oiler ensures that your tool is always ready, and its die-cast chassis make it suitable for heavy use.
A slight drawback here is weight – at 15 pounds, this is not the lightest unit on the market, but its weight still should be considerably lower than most of its counterparts. If anything goes wrong with it, you can always contact the manufacturer because the tool is covered by a 2-year limited warranty. While the majority of owners were happy with their purchase, some of them recommend find a replacement chain to improve its performance. Overall, the Remington RM4216 is a quite reliable option that gives you a lot of power and offers that precision and comfort when you use it.
- Getting more power and less vibration is everyone’s dream, and your dream will come true with this chain.
- Combining sturdiness and lightweightness in a single piece is quite impossible. Even at a lower price, the company somehow managed to combine these two prominent features.
- Quick start technology is common among expensive chainsaws; you’re going to get this one at a lower price.
- You can get smooth cutting like no other chainsaw, but this feature comes with a little effort of oil maintenance.
- Another significant feature is its 3-point anti-vibration system, which is 2-point in most chainsaws.
it is lightweight, easy to use and has a good power. It’s also very quiet when in operation. The only problem with this chainsaw is the lack of a safety guard. This means you need to be careful not to cut yourself while using it. If you are looking for a chainsaw that will give you all the benefits of a professional chainsaw without the high price tag then this is definitely worth checking out.
it does not have an auto-start feature which can make starting up the chainsaw difficult especially if you are working on a tree or other object that could fall down at any moment. Another thing that I didn’t like about this chainsaw is that it doesn’t come with a chain tensioner so you will need to buy one separately.
5. Oregon 570995 CS1500 Chainsaw
If you are looking for an inexpensive electric chainsaw, consider the Oregon 570995 CS1500. It features a 15A motor that makes little-to-no noise and a PowerSharp self-sharpening system, so you can use it for years!
The main advantage of all electric chainsaws is an instant start, with which you will forget about pulling the rope or mixing gas with oil once and for all. The guide bar length here is 18″, which should be more than enough for most tasks. Thus, it can deal with trees up to 15″ in diameter because the motor provides a lot of power with 2888FPM chain speed under no load. To adjust the tension, you won’t have to use any tools – simply turn the red knob, and you are done! The abovementioned sharpening system allows you to re-sharpen the chain in a matter of seconds using a pull lever. On top of that, the design of this chainsaw is sturdy and well-balanced, and its over-molded handle will ensure a comfortable grip. It doesn’t weigh much at just 12.9 pounds and is incredibly easy to operate. The automatic oiler will help you to avoid the mess with this chainsaw maintenance and allow you to use it longer. Even if you try to run it without oil, you will notice the difference in its sound, so you will know when to add it.
The Oregon 570995 CS1500 Chainsaw comes ready-to-use right out of the box, so you won’t have to figure out how to assemble it. If you need some guidance, you will find all the information in the instructions that come with the tool. As for the reliability, the chain won’t pop off too often, and many customers are satisfied with their purchase. The clutch mechanism (also known as chain brake) adds to its safety. Just make sure not to overheat it because some plastic components might get damaged.
- The wonderful thing about this chainsaw is the built-in sharpening system called PowerSharp to make your cutting easy and sharp.
- Another surprising and luxurious feature is a tool-less chain tensioning system.
- It starts instantly, even when it’s cold or hot, and you don’t have to maintain it either.
- Besides, the chainsaw is convenient to use, making it perfect for beginners.
- The chainsaw offered by a company is famous for chain sharpening systems that they’ve built for everything a craftsman needs for perfect cutting.
The chain is a bit longer than the average, which makes it easier to cut through thick branches. It has a good weight distribution and the handlebar is comfortable for long periods of time.
The chain can be hard to pull out if you’re cutting with the bar in an awkward position.
When is it worth buying a chainsaw?
Since chainsaws don’t necessarily create a huge hole in your household budget, it is important to think about purchasing this gardening tool. With the chainsaw, you can not only prune trees quickly and efficiently but also shred the firewood for your fireplace. Forest workers can hardly do without the chainsaw; it is considered the most important tool in forestry. Chainsaws are also used in carving competitions. Here artists use the saw to create sculptures and figures out of wood.
What can be done with a chainsaw?
The chainsaw is primarily used to cut all kinds of wood. These include:
- Cut down trees
- Cutting firewood
- Cutting tree roots to length (this means dividing the felled tree into individual sections)
- Cut branches
- Cutting and processing sculptures (chainsaw art)
What other types of chainsaws are there?
In addition to the normal chain saws, which are used to work and cut wood, there are also several special shapes and special chainsaws. It is worth mentioning, for example, the rescue saws that are used by the fire brigade and, for example, to saw metal.
Just like the so-called hot saws, these special motor chain saws are used in competitions. With the help of their chainsaw, the artists carve various sculptures and figures from large pieces of wood – some of the works are real art pieces.
Another special form of the chainsaw is the pole pruner, which is used to easily reach the higher branches in the tree.
How safe is a chainsaw?
The chainsaw is, without a doubt, one of the most dangerous tools of all, with which you can get injured quickly. Basic safety precautions when working with the chainsaw are, therefore, an absolute must. If you work with the chainsaw frequently, you should put on complete protective clothing. This consists of cut-resistant pants and jacket as well as cut-resistant gloves and safety shoes.
The right clothing and careful handling of the chainsaw are crucial for safety!
What protective clothing do I need to work with a chainsaw?
You need good quality protective clothing to protect yourself from serious injury. This should consist of the following parts:
- Safety glasses or hard hat (possibly as a combination)
- Cut resistant jacket
- Chainsaw protection pants
- Cut-resistant gloves
- Tight-fitting outerwear so that you are not hindered at work
- Safety shoes
To choose the best chainsaw under $200, make sure you have the right equipment and know how to handle it properly. The chainsaw is a very useful tool that will save you time and money. You can buy a chainsaw online and receive it immediately after payment.
All five chainsaws were tested in our laboratory. We compared them based on price, weight, size, power consumption, noise level, durability and ease of operation.
As you can see, each type of chain saw has advantages and disadvantages. Weigh these carefully against each other and think about the purpose for which you would like to use the saw before buying. If you only want to cut thin branches, the electric saw will certainly suffice. The battery-powered chainsaw also has its purposes and is an alternative to electric or gas chainsaws, as it hardly makes any noise and works entirely without cables. With larger amounts of wood, however, such a model quickly reaches its limits. You can hardly work with a cordless chainsaw for more than 20 to 30 minutes at a time.