To create various types of cuts with ease, you need to have a miter saw (also called “chop saw”) in your workshop. It can be hard to choose the right tool for your job because they have a different level of speed, motor power, or other features. After a few days of research, this is the list of the best cordless miter saws on the market right now. We reviewed the tools and ranked them accordingly.
If you want to buy a miter, saw you have to make sure you purchase the one that is perfect for you because it’s a significant investment. If you are not sure what features to look for, scroll down to get some information. Depending on the job, you will need a different blade size or other features like a dust bag, laser, portability. I usually go for the standard brands like DeWalt and Makita, that’s why they are on top of this list for cordless miter saws. Using them, you will get a product with a long life, performance, and other useful features.
The Top 7 Best Cordless Miter Saw Reviews
With so many cordless miter saws on the market, it’s hard to find the best one for your needs. That’s why we researched and reviewed the top 7.
1. Makita XSL06PT Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Long runtime
- The stand is great (check out the best miter saw stand list for more information)
- The power
- Smooth cuts
- Smooth slides
- Automatic speed change system
- A bit heavy
After long research, we concluded that this would be the best cordless miter saw on our list—the combination of accuracy and cutting power of the motor that sets it apart from DeWalt and Milwaukee. We going to look at some of its features and why it’s worth all the money.
This 10-inch cordless miter saw has two steel rails to keep the sliding in place. It also has a laser that you can use to mark the cutlines. It uses a battery, so make sure to use the laser only when you need it.
The Makita brushless motor uses 18V LXT battery packs. The model uses a direct drive system. To feel the difference, you have to cut side by side with the belt drive saw, creating smooth and confident cuts. This drive system works well for up to two years.
Positive miter stops are at: 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6, 45, 60 degrees right or left. It has an integrated tall fence (4-3/4″) for more precise bevel and miter slices and to increase rigidity.
The Makita XSL06PT also has an aluminum base, an electric brake, and a direct drive gearbox. The bevel lock is positioned in front for convenience. The BL motor has 4.400 RPM.
- The powered BL motor is faster & smoother than the average miter saws available in the market.
- The speed adjustment is automatic to keep you away from distortions. After figuring your object and torque, the miter saw adjusts the power.
- Cord mess is the most annoying thing during operation. Amazingly, this miter saw is rechargeable- Supported with two powerful LXT batteries for power-pack and speedy performance.
- For accurate cuts, a linear ball bearing system is present.
- Cover the blade with the plastic cover when not using the saw to protect it from external damages.
- Talking about maintenance, you don’t need to shed your sweat. The direct-drive motor keeps the maintenance cost low and performance efficiency high.
- The in-front bevel lock is present in the front for handy adjustment. It makes the operation simple, even for beginners.
2. DEWALT DHS790AT2 Flexvolt Battery Operated
- Corded Option
- Blade Cutline Positioning System
- A lot of different angles and bevels
- A bit heavy
The DEWALT DHS790AT2 Flexvolt is 120V, and it runs on two batteries. It works great for everything!
It has an elegant slide, which is excellent for 45-inch slices. The kit comes with smaller batteries, but if you want to cut on it all the time, I recommend getting the set of 9 amp power or 12 amp power. But it also comes with an AC adapter, so you can plug it into the wall and have unlimited run time.
The quality and durability of this saw are amazing. It doesn’t have a laser, but it has a shadow line. You can turn it off or on with a little button on top. Doesn’t matter what blade you use, you’ll be able to see the shadow line.
It has the cut capacity to cut the biggest trim. 7 1/4 base you’re going to cut in on the flat but most base, shorter than that. You can cut standing up. You can cut a decent sized crown.
The only downside is the size, it weighs a lot, and it’s big, but it’s a 12-inch miter saw. Another disadvantage is the dust collection system.
- The body of the miter saw is pretty compact, perfect for portability.
- Either you are to cut a single wood log or a dozen ones, do it conveniently without the fear of the machine heating up. The run time of this miter saw is extended for prolonged operations.
- The free cut-line keeps indicating to the user about the perfect fit for precise cuts.
- The brushless motor offers power-pack performance compared to the expensive ones.
- The supported bevel scale guides the operator about the accurate bevel cuts. This practice is helpful for newbies who are polishing their skills on machines as the miter saw.
- The most out-ranking feature of this miter saw is the rechargeable battery. The supported battery alters its voltage according to the tool used.
- The top-notch quality of this miter saw makes it the most reliable and durable option available in the market.
- The tool-less micro-set is adjustable to make the operation pretty handy for users with an accurate cut every time.
3. DeWalt DHS716AT2 Flexvolt 12″ Compound
- Efficient brushless motor with zero maintenance
- Same as the above model
- A bit heavy
The DeWalt DHS716AT2 is perfect if you want a hybrid-powered miter saw or you are a professional contractor or finish carpenter.
You will get a 12″ Cordless compound miter saw kit that is not that heavy. It is excellent for you if you will be working on-location, like in the framing houses or construction fields where you would have a generator.
The cross cuts are excellent; you can go through dimensional 2×8 in only a single cut. The DeWalt saw can handle the 4×6 cut in a single pass.
The model is great for trim molding if you have to make baseboard cuts because it can cut 6-1/2″ baseboard vertically against the fence.
- A cord is always the major trouble during the cutting operation. For a mess-free life, this miter saw has the feature of cordless. Depending on your need: You can use the cord and cordless mode.
- The overall weight is pretty light which enhances the portability.
- This miter saw is the future of cutting due to its efficient cutting power. The next-level power cuts down objects at the speed of the blink of an eye.
- Talking about the blade, that is extraordinarily sharp. Supported with dozens of teeth, the blade can tear out any object in seconds.
- The dust bags keep collecting the dust particle before they accumulate around on the cutting line & block the operation.
- This miter saw is energy star rated when used on cord (electric) mode.
4. DEWALT DCS361B Cordless Chop Saw
- Precise adjustments
- XPS LED light for illumination
- Multiple bevel stops
- Low vibration
- Blade Changing can be a little time-consuming
This DEWALT DCS361B is small in size, and it creates excellent cuts. It takes 7 1/4 inch blades which are easy to find and cheap.
The 20V DEWALT batteries slide in the back, and you only need one battery to run it. In the end, we got the dust port, and it comes with a bag. And you can also hook up a vacuum to the quick-connect system.
- It has positive stops on the miter scale that many other saws have the same stops, but this one comes with a slightly different design. This structure makes it easy to use, and the lever moves smoothly as well.
- When it comes to the tools powered by Dewalt, they always come with incredible safety, which is not offered by many brands.
- Unlike other chop saws, this one features transparent guard blades made using plastic, so you can supervise the cuts because of their transparency.
- The most significant feature of this powerful device is the ease of use which makes even a beginner a pro as all a user needs to do is power on the switch.
- Cordless saws are comparatively expensive as they come with extra ease, but Dewalt somehow manages to provide them at affordable rates.
- Besides being cordless, the saw is lightweight as well, making it easy to transport across the places for woodworking projects.
- What’s in it for professionals is high precision that comes from blades with teeth that are carbide-tipped for extra precision.
- Its crosscutting stands out as well because it offers relatively up to more thickness and at many angles.
- While testing the beveling and mitering, we found its blade so smooth even when cutting thicker material, and the motor was steady and strong.
5. Ryobi P551 Battery Operated Chop Saw
- Laser Guide
- Spindle lock to help with blade changes
- Multiple bevel stops
- Limited cut capacity
The Ryobi P551 has a 7 and 1/4 inch blade with a 5/8 inch arbour. There are a lot of other popular blades that you can change to depending on what you are cutting. It comes with a 24 tooth carbide construction blade. The unit spins at 4.500 RPM at no load.
It does have an on-board laser. The laser is adjustable. It works great outdoors and indoors, but unfortunately, I couldn’t see it on the 2×4.
- When looking for the incredible lightweight saws among all chop saw, this one falls top of that list, making it easy to carry, handle, and operate.
- When cutting thicker materials with other saws, you have to rotate the material after the half cut, but that’s not the case with this saw, as it offers comparatively more thickness.
- Having a laser guide for high accuracy cutting is not a unique feature, but having this feature at this price range is highly appreciated.
- Another appreciable thing about this saw is its ergonomic design that keeps the user at ease while working for hours. Also, the design is beginners-friendly which gives learners an edge to go for this one to start woodworking as their career.
- When it comes to the accuracy or getting precise cutting, it features a spindle lock that allows you to set up each cut as accurately as possible.
- Having a dust removal system at this price range is quite surprising as sometimes even expensive saws don’t equip this system.
- When it comes to safety, it features a safe trigger design. You have to pull back a small level before you apply the trigger to prevent the incidents.
- Besides safety, there’s convenience in pressing the trigger as it’s big hand-formed, which is quite easy to press.
6. Ridgid R48607K Cordless Sliding Miter Saw
- LED cutline indicator
- Five positive miter stops
- A little loud
This unit is entirely cordless, and it takes one 18 volt battery pack to operate it. The 7-1/4 inch blade is the standard size. The same blade that will fit on your circular saw will fit on this unit. They are easy to find and cheap.
- This miter saw is all about accuracy — the saw is equipped with ultra-bright LED light that helps you to see through the blades for increased accuracy and visibility of the cut.
- It might not be the most lightweight miter saw, but having more power and strong enough to use for heavy-duty work, it is comparatively lightweight and easy to port across different places for woodworking projects.
- Like other powerful miter saws, this one also features a powerful battery but what’s different is that it comes with a 5.0Ah battery that you have to buy separately in most saws.
- Also, its brushless motor technology offers more power, runtime, and motor life than many professional-grade competitors saw. Furthermore, it delivers two times more cuts per charge.
- It’s hectic for most professionals one material starts moving with the saw. When using this saw, its dual bevel design with positive stops allow moving the saw ahead while keeping the material firm.
- Its blades do not put more pressure on the motor, which increases the timespan and helps the machine work smoothly.
- When it comes to safety, the saw features electric blade brakes that instantly stop the blade when releasing the trigger while saving power.
- The suitcase and three different handles make the portability quite easy.
- Having a dust collection system is not something unique; however, with a compact size, this system is quite ordinary.
- The safety trigger works quite differently, and you have to press a button between fingers that prevents accidental operations.
7. DeWalt DCS361M1 – Best Value
- LED light
- Easy to carry
- Good power
- Very easy to move the miter angle
- Very easy to move the bevel angle
DeWalt DCS361M1 is a 20V Max 7-1/4″ Cordless Sliding Compound Miter Saw. It uses the standard 20-volt max slide rail batteries. They slide at the rear of the unit. All the adjustments on this power saw are straightforward to do. The knobs are huge, and everything does release and tighten up very quickly.
- The saw features relatively smaller blades that not only work smoothly but also drain less power for the increased battery.
- Not many manufacturers prefer the durability factor, but this one features a sturdy body made using high-quality material for longevity.
- For safety, every saw features a different trigger design, and this one does as well — the safety switch is equipped within the trigger that you slide your fingers from sideways to get into the ready position.
- Like other saws, this one also features LED for maximum accuracy, but it works slightly differently. It casts a shadow on the cut line for accurate cutting while working better than lasers.
- The most important feature about this powerful saw is incredibly easy mitering that requires no calibration is highly appreciable.
- It is not lightweight, but still, the manufacturers made the portability possible by equipping the carry handles, which makes it easy to lift.
- The battery timing is not ordinary; however, the saw does come with a battery and a charger which many providers fail to offer.
- The device is for professional use, but beginners can benefit themselves as well because of its easy-to-use design that allows you to get smooth cutting at desired angles.
- Most importantly, its sliding saw head provides similar performance to a skill saw or a table saw, so you don’t have to buy other tools separately.
- The price is not much cheaper but comparatively lower than many heavy-duty cordless miter saws.
There are a few things to consider before you buy a cordless unit. Let’s look at a few features.
Depending on what you are trying to achieve, look for the cordless miter saw that offers the right amount of battery life.
The models that have under 17 volts can not give you enough power. All the saws on our lists have over 17 volts, usually found with two batteries of 9 volts.
You don’t want to spend a lot of time charging the batteries if you have to cut a lot in one go. You can do almost 200 cuts with the miter saws in our list.
If you want to get an excellent quality product, you should look to spend a little more money. Cheaper miter saws under $200 are for DIY-ers, and the brands that cost a little more are DeWalt and Makita, but they also have more durability and precision.
If you have to move the unit from place to place, you need a lightweight, portable model. There are a few units on our list that are lighter in weight, and you should look for those if you need to transport them a lot.
Bevel and Cuts
It’s standard to look for a miter saw that cuts a bevel of 45 degrees. You want to have incremented to create various bevel cuts. Depending on the work, you need to check how hard it is to set the bevel angle.
The depth of cutting will be standard for most miter saws. You should make sure it will support the sizes you want to cut.
Some cordless miter saws also support having a cord. This can be a useful feature depending on the work.
To create more accurate cuts, you might need to look for models with adjustable cutline indicators.
To make your life easier, you might need a miter saw with a sliding system for the angled cuts.
The dustbag is usually not that great on most miter saws. You will need to use a vacuum to get all the sawdust out of the workplace.
What size to choose
There are usually two sizes of blades 12″ or 10″. To make deep and wide cuts, you will need larger blades. For better handling, pick the smaller blades.
When it comes to cutting crown molding, the 10-inch blades are better for 4″ to 5″ molding. For over 6 inches or more, choose the 12-inch blade.
For larger pieces of laminate, get the 12-inch blade. Choose the 10 inches saw for the smaller pieces. Regardless of the size of workpieces to cut flooring material, you will need the 12-inch blade.
Makita has been stomping back on the gas pedal, and they’re merging onto the highway because the Makita 18-volt X2 [36V] 12 Inch Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound XSl06PT is the best cordless miter saw. From its power, size, and easily accessible controls, intuitive design, it’s not going to disappoint, we can promise that.
For the best value, you can choose the DeWalt DCS361M1 that uses very cheap or inexpensive circular saw blades. You will get a lot of work done, and it does have a massive cut capacity up to a 2×8. It can get over 200 cuts through a standard 2×4, and it doesn’t overheat. It doesn’t have a laser, but it does have a specialized lighting system to create the exact line where you’re going to cut. If you are a trim carpenter or a finished carpenter or even a framer or someone that builds decks, this should be able to get the job done for you.
You can’t go wrong with the DEWALT DHS790AT2 either. It can do pretty much everything. You can make significant crosscuts. It got the capacity with the rails on it to slide out. There are two types of people that will get this power saw, the professional or someone that wants to buy tools that the professionals are using. It is built very well, although it’s a little heavy. DEWALT has been very smart to have the dual power supply: the batteries or the cord.