A horizontal band saw is a type of circular saw that cuts material in a perpendicular direction. The blade runs horizontally, and the cutting action occurs as the workpiece passes by underneath the blade. This tool can be used to cut wood or metal. It is also known as a rip-saw because it is typically used for ripping stock into strips. Continue to read to find out what might be the best horizontal band saw. A typical band saw has a motor mounted on top of the table and an adjustable fence attached to the side of the table. The motor rotates the saw blade around its axis at high speeds.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Horizontal Band Saw Reviews
- Why use a horizontal band saw?
- Horizontal Bandsaw Buying Guide
Top 5 Best Horizontal Band Saw Reviews
There are many horizontal units on the markets these days, and many reliable companies and manufacturers have introduced these models successfully. We are using horizontal band saws with as much ease as vertical models, and the most popular/best ones include the following:
1. Grizzly G0561 Horizontal Bandsaw
This 12″ metal cutting Grizzly horizontal bandsaw is the first on our list, after we tested it. After we unboxed it, we noticed it is a large unit, but it’s also completely mobile and has a small footprint.
What can it cut ?
We found that it cuts 7 by 12-inch rectangular stock and 7 inch round ones. This saw’s capabilities include creating very square sharp cuts on the ends and joints of your projects. If you look to square the cut of the band saw, wider is better. For its price range, it has impressive performance.
To get the most out of this unit, we bought the bi-metal band saw blades. They offer the best performance. I cut 1/4″ angle iron for a test, but I think I needed to upgrade the blades to get better performance.
It is made out of cast iron and can quickly adapt to your jigs and tables, etc.
If you want to use it in a small to medium shop, this saw is excellent and has good value. A lot of our expert friends bought if for their business. You don’t need the most expensive bandsaw to cut stock that’s squaring on a mill anyway.
We found that the features it includes are: coolant system, blade brush, and hydraulic down feed control.
- The G0561 was easy to assemble.
- Vise that is easy to set and release.
- A powerful one-horsepower motor.
- Pre-lubed and pre-adjusted when it is delivered.
- Increased versatility is provided by variable speeds.
- The coolant nozzle assists in keeping the blade cool.
- The auto shut-off feature increases the level of safety.
- The cast-iron construction ensures long-term durability under heavy use.
- The saw’s belt tension could be a little better. It’s just a little annoying when we changed the running speed. The saw base set up could be a little better, too, as it’s made with cheap wheels and has a floppy washer. But that’s about everything when it comes to downsides.
- The cooling system can be complicated.
- The installation process is a little complex.
- It is necessary to purchase coolant separately.
- Occasionally, blade tension will not be maintained.
2. JET 414560 HVBS 712D Deluxe Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
This horizontal vertical band saw from JET has some innovative features. The wide table assembly of 10 by 12-inch infeed expands the support area and can be used horizontally or vertically, mitering 15,30 and 45 degrees.
- If a versatile band saw is your priority that can offer both horizontal and vertical cut with comfort, this one can be a perfect choice.
- It might be a little expensive because it comes with extra features, and having more capacity to cut relatively bigger material is one of its top features.
- The increased height and width of the stand give you a better position to get more effective results.
- Since the saw features multiple position blade guides that increase the throat capacity up to 4 inches more, you can get a safer position to work while producing maximum output.
- The blade wheels are made using flanged cast iron for increased durability to last longer than you expect when it comes to its construction.
- Also, it features a coolant system that keeps the blade at less temperature even when cutting the most rigid materials. That’s why its blades last longer besides increasing the cutting efficiency than a typical saw band.
- The bandsaw follows the safety requirements by CSA/CUS to ensure the user gets the safest environment while working on this machine.
- To save power and for extra safety, the saw automatically shut off.
- There’s a storage cabinet attached that helps you store the necessary tools.
- It can be turned vertically.
- Produces perfectly straight cuts.
- It is equipped with a large infeed table.
- The table that is both large and convenient.
- Cast-iron blade wheels are incredibly long-lasting.
- The bi-metal blade allows for greater cutting flexibility.
- High-quality band saw coolant keeps the material and blade at a comfortable temperature.
- It is more expensive.
- Coolant drips and splashes on the floor.
- Your floor may become soiled because of the small collection tray.
3. WEN 3975 Benchtop Metal Bandsaw
After more than 100 cuts, I’m pleased with this saw. I just squared it up when I took it out of the box. This little tool is suitable for my hobby garage/shop. It’s particularly worth the money if you use a grinder with a cut of disk.
- As you have to deal with different types of materials to cut, this saw offers you a wide range of speed adjustments as per the material strength.
- Its beveling blade provides multiple angles for smooth and precise cutting in different curves with adjustable blade speed.
- It can be a perfect choice for those looking for an easily portable band saw because it features a compact design that is easy to port across different places with less effort.
- You don’t have to be professional to use this saw, as it features a user-friendly design that experts love.
- Unlike other typical saws, it doesn’t choke while cutting the toughest materials because its powerful motor gives enough energy to cut materials of any width easily.
- This saw is comparatively cheaper than many saws in the same category while delivering the same functions with more efficiency.
- Of course, the saw is incredibly lightweight and compact for easy mobility, but this doesn’t make its power any less.
- Many companies do not offer a two-year warranty, but this one is backed up by two years of warranty, making it even more satisfying for new customers.
- Working light that is built-in.
- 5 AMP motor with a lot of power.
- Compact design and Blades with two speeds.
- A vise that is built-in to grip materials firmly.
- Blade guides with ball bearings for long service life.
- Its small size makes transportation and storage convenient.
- Blade speed can be adjusted between 125 and 260 feet per minute.
- The beveling blade can cut at angles ranging from 0 to 60 degrees.
- A little on the pricey side.
- It takes a while to get it all set up.
- It can be difficult to locate replacement blades.
- There is no hydraulic down feeding on this hand-operated band saw.
4. KAKA Industrial Metal Cutting Horizontal Band Saw
First of all, this is a good unit for both small business and home use. This may seem like an unusual brand, but this is a good product. It has a 1.5 horsepower motor. This thing rules when it comes to cutting metal. Undoubtedly, this is a light industrial saw.
- The saw is versatile in offering multiple cutting speeds — it provides four different speeds as per the material thickness.
- It has relatively more capacity, making it powerful enough to cut even harder materials like aluminum and steel.
- The equipped quick clamps allow you to rotate the material while cutting it down and adjusting it simultaneously.
- There are adjusted roller blade guides and adjustable material stops to improve the number of materials this machine can handle.
- Now with a rollerblade, you can easily adjust the angles for more accurate and precise cutting.
- If you’re looking for a heavy band saw that’s easy to move as well, this one can be the best option as it’s equipped with moving wheels.
- It has this unique feature common among a few saws where you can change the positions to vertical and horizontal during the cutting process.
- Its iron cast construction makes the machine powerful enough to withstand the extremely tough use, which few saws can bear.
- Its safety features like coolant system, auto shut off, and guards make it perfect for industrial and home usage.
- Besides safety, these features also cost you fewer power bills, which makes it budget-friendly.
- Extremely lightweight and portable.
- The tension of the blade can be easily adjusted.
- It is equipped with an automatic coolant system.
- Can be used to cut at an angle of up to 45 degrees.
- This product can be used both vertically and horizontally.
- Extremely long-lasting, even after years of continuous use.
- It is simple to switch from horizontal to vertical orientation.
- Convenient to assemble and use with excellent safety features.
- Expensively priced.
- There are no wheel locks on this machine.
- Warranty is sadly lacking for such a high-priced product.
- The wheels are non-steerable and can be a source of frustration.
- When it’s used in the vertical position, the machine may topple over because of a faulty center of gravity.
5. Fox Shop W1715 Metal-Cutting Horizontal Band-Saw
This inexpensive, compact, functional 3-speed unit is an ideal alternative for large or small projects in which several metals, wood, or plastics need to be cut. This one is amongst the best price-to-quality units.
- If you’re looking for an all-around band saw with the best price to quality ratio, this one can be the best choice.
- Even though the band saw is quite heavy, but with the wheels equipped, you can easily move across different places or for easy storage. This feature is not common among all the heavy band saws built for heavy work.
- A typical band saw mostly offers cutting up to 45 degrees, but this one can cut various materials up to 60 degrees.
- Its design may look complicated to beginners, but once you’ve got the grip, it provides comparatively easy positions to get the cutting done without getting tired and with more accurate results.
- The V-belt position allows you to change the speed and position for varying densities.
- It makes the horizontal cutting more straightforward as it equips the vise that holds the workpiece during the cutting operation.
- In addition, for even more comfortable cutting in the horizontal position, there’s a cast-iron stop that provides consistent results when you have to repeat cuts at the same length.
- Spring and handle controls its speed — all you need to do is twist the handle anticlockwise for faster speed and clockwise for slow speed.
- Turning off the power automatically.
- Wheels and handles to make moving around easier.
- Works with any metal, as well as wood and plastics.
- Workpiece is held securely in place by an integrated vise.
- 6 different blade speeds for the greatest amount of versatility.
- A comfortable cutting experience, either the orientation is horizontal or vertical.
- There are no cooling systems.
- Difficult to assemble in the proper manner.
- Maintaining proper blade tension can be difficult.
- Not suitable for extremely heavy-duty construction.
- The legs aren’t the most convenient when it comes to portability.
Why use a horizontal band saw?
There are practically no differences between the working of a vertical and a horizontal band saw; the only major difference is its physical appearance where the entire machine is in horizontal form and can be ‘settled’ on the ground. Some of the reasons why you must opt for this type of model can be found in the list of features mentioned below:
What are some of its features?
ALL Ideal features of any band saw. As mentioned earlier, there are no features or properties of the overall best saws that may be found missing in a horizontal model. A horizontal model has all the following features:
- Made of tough cast iron material that gives it strength and rigidity.
- Powerful motor with strong horsepower.
- Variable speed options for the user to increase and decrease the speed whenever needed to suit the material he is using.
- Highly versatile and multipurpose.
- Adjustable roller guides and table position to adjust the machine’s various components to bring it at the required position.
- High capacity that allows deep cutting.
- Automatic shut down and cooling system that does not heat up the machine after prolonged use.
- It comes with a strong base so it can rest on the ground and withstand all the tension that creates whilst operating the machine.
- For metalworking go for a metal horizontal band saw.
The first and foremost thing that you must consider is the space around your workspace to select between the five types. A horizontal band saw generally takes up more floor space than a vertical one and purchases one only if you have the space that can allow it to rest.
Another thing that you must evaluate is you’re your position and requirement. If it is for commercial use, you must also consider how exactly it will be used and how intensive the usage is.
Balances weight in an ideal manner. Since a vertical model is standing, you need to pick up heavy planks and sheets and place them on the table. Balancing is necessarily required since this added weight may wobble the machine, or some mishap might happen. But while using a horizontal model, you can keep all the heavy items on the floor nearby, and no effort will be needed to pick up and raise them to a higher level. This will lead to applying lesser effort from the side of the user.
Ideal for long duty hours and the elderly. As this is a horizontal model, a chair or workbench can be placed in front of it to sit and perform his task. This is best suited for an elderly workman or someone suffering from any back or leg pains. Similarly, if the work requires hours of duty, it is feasible for the user as the vertical ones may lead to more exhaustion since they only allow work to be done while standing.
Horizontal Bandsaw Buying Guide
Most people will look at the price of a horizontal band saw before looking at anything else. If you only buy the cheapest band saw, you risk missing out on many of the functions and power you need for your projects, as well as losing money if your cheap saw (or not) doesn’t work as good as you wanted it to.
The Material’s Size
When choosing a unit, it’s critical to get the correct size. The HD 375LR, for example, cuts a diameter of 300 mm, but it’s always best to add a little more to your calculations, so that the bandsaw doesn’t work to its limit. Consider that if the machine miters it also reduces the capacity and that requires additional budget. The average horizontal band saw has a horizontal and vertical capacity of 5 to 7 inches.
You can choose between machines that are linked to the left and right or miter machines that are connected to the left and right. If you want a cheap unit and don’t need many miter cuts, you can get one that miters one way and can counter the material in other ways if necessary.
Blade speeds are critical in determining which machine you require. The lower-cost devices usually have two speeds: a slow speed of 35 meters per minute and a fast rate of about 70 meters per minute. For stainless steel and mild steel, this is acceptable. You can choose a machine with speed-variation if you need to cut a variety of materials.
If you choose a horizontal band saw, make sure it has a large enough table to hold your materials. The table must also be the proper height for you to work comfortably. A smoother and shallower table is preferred because it makes handling the workpiece easier. Horizontal cast iron or solid steel band saw tables are the best because they can withstand regular use and are stable enough to support the materials.
Given the exposed and fast-moving blade, it should be obvious that using a horizontal band saw poses a significant risk to you and those around you. You should provide security features before deciding on each model. The idler and guide wheels pose a significant security risk, so a good horizontal band saw of metal covers in the frame is recommended. A blade protector is also necessary because it protects the fingers.
Because cutting harder materials causes different parts of the band saw to become extremely hot, you’ll want to make sure the model you choose has a good cooling system so that things like the pulley system don’t overheat. The blade is turned off automatically when the device is turned off. When the cut is finished, the tool can be used more safely.
These are excellent features that are not required for every band saw but are certainly beneficial.
Coolant system – A coolant system is essential for larger machines that make larger cuts because it extends the blade’s lifespan.
Hydraulic down feed systems are preferable to the basic spring systems used on smaller machines. This is because they maintain a constant sealing pressure during the automated function.
Swivel head vs. swing cabinet: For miter cutting, some machines have swivel vices instead of pivot heads. This is good, but it lacks the precision of the swivel head alternatives.
If you work in different rooms, portability comes in handy. You may need a portable metal cutting bandsaw if you want to use the same one for your work and take it home to your garage. When it comes to portability, a horizontal band saw is a way to go. Because these band saws are smaller, you can easily transport them in your car and use them. Before you buy one, make sure to check the weight.
If you decide to purchase a vertical band saw, make sure it comes with wheels. The wheels make it simple to move the band saw around without exerting too much effort. All you have to do now is make sure the wheels have locks to prevent accidental rollers. If you don’t want a metal-cutting belt saw without wheel locks, unless it has another mechanism that prevents the tool from moving during use, look for another option.
What is horizontal bandsaw?
A horizontal bandsaw is a type of saw that cuts material in a direction parallel to the blade. It has a table and fence, but no backstop or kerf guide. The blade is usually made from hardened steel with a carbide-tipped cutting edge. The teeth are arranged on one side of the band so they can be used for both ripping and crosscutting.
What are horizontal band saws used for?
Horizontal band saws are commonly used to cut through wood, metal and plastics. They can be used in a variety of applications including furniture making, cabinetmaking, home improvement projects, carpentry, construction, and much more.
Why is a horizontal bandsaw used to cut steel?
A horizontal bandsaw is the best tool for cutting steel because it allows you to make straight cuts that are perpendicular to the grain. This makes it easier to get accurate results when creating custom pieces or building cabinets.
Should I purchase both a horizontal and vertical band saw?
We don’t believe that purchasing the vertical and horizontal band saws separately is necessary. Some models have both options. You can use a horizontal band saw as a vertical saw after purchasing it. Both horizontal and vertical band saws have advantages. However, purchasing both machines could not only have a significant impact, but it could also take up a lot of space in your shop. Today’s best products are hybrids of the two, allowing both horizontal and vertical cuts.
How important is horsepower?
When choosing a horizontal band saw, the first consideration should be the machine’s power. This tool, on the other hand, does not require a lot of strength to operate. If you’re working with thin metals, you shouldn’t need much more than 0.75 watts. If you want to cut thicker metals, you’ll need something with more power.
Is it necessary to sharpen the band saw blade regularly?
It all depends on the application. We recommend do it at least once a year if you are a serious or experienced worker.
Which one is better – Horizontal or Vertical?
This is the question that you must have in mind right now! Well, to be honest, both of them have equal precision and accuracy, and I will say that it’s best to evaluate your own basic needs, the space you have, and the intensity of usage you require. Suppose you are an older person yourself or your industry requires someone to operate this machine continuously. In that case, a horizontal one is highly recommended for you as it requires lesser effort from the user’s side.
So now that you have read all about the best horizontal band saws, it’s time that you make a decision regarding which one to choose for yourself! Think and evaluate wisely and take your time. You can read more relevant articles guiding you to make the best decision in a timely manner.
Each of the models we’ve discussed has something to offer to the buyer. Whether you’re looking for a professional performance level or a few extra features, there’s always something you’re looking for and can find at a reasonable price. We made every effort to keep it as low-cost as possible. The main thing to remember is the distinction between cheap and affordable, as these are not synonymous. These machines are not cheap, and if you ever find yourself in a situation where the price is surprisingly low, you should probably avoid it at all costs.
Take a look at our full reviews if you’re interested in a more in-depth look at the models we’ve chosen to meet. Always keep your safety in mind when using a device and set it up correctly. Otherwise, you could cause serious problems and injuries.