Portable bandsaws are light in weight, and they can be carried with you very easily. There will be maximum convenience, and you will enjoy the best cutting experience as well. As there are many types of portable band saws in the market, it will be challenging to choose the best portable band saw for your needs. The factors which affect your decision include price, weight, and features. As you go through product reviews, it is possible to settle for the best product without any issues. You can discover advantages, disadvantages, and features, and the most appropriate product can be chosen to fulfill your needs.
When you choose a reputed brand, there will be access to spare parts, and you will get the best support as well. You will get a storage case and additional tools as well so that the unit can be maintained very easily. Here at Band-Saw.com, we found functionality, ergonomics, durability, and warranty are other significant factors that influence your decision. You also may want to check out what’s the best woodworking bandsaw overall!
Table of Contents
- Top 8 Best Portable Band Saw Reviews
- Portable Band Saw Buying Guide
Top 8 Best Portable Band Saw Reviews
1. DEWALT DWM120K (Deep Cut) Hand Held Band Saw
The deep cut portable band saw kit would help you perform a wide range of operations effortlessly. The unit is designed to carry out all kinds of job site applications in an effortless manner. The 10 Amp motor is designed to deliver power in a controlled way. The unit has a 5″ deep cut capacity. The unit will withstand job site abuse without any issues. Even though you are performing operations in a dark location, you will be able to see the cut line with the help of the LED sight light.
The front handle and castings will not be damaged as you can hang the unit without any issues. The speed of the motor can be changed as per the type of material and applications.
- Getting an ergonomically designed band saw made using high-quality material at the same time is rare. However, this one is designed for easy operations and made using premium quality material for longevity.
- There’s a couple of rubbing shrouds that protect its casing, making it surprising for many woodworkers to protect external parts as well.
- Since the saw offers variable speeds and ergonomic design simultaneously, it can be perfect for both professionals and occasional users.
- Multiple speeds aren’t a unique feature, but at the price range and in the same category, it’s better than many one-speed saws.
- Most importantly, it doesn’t require more adjustments and fine-tuning coming out of the box.
- Besides being compact for comfortable portability within and outside the house, it has a hanging hook, so you can hang for added protection.
- Powerful motor
- Variable motor speed
- Durability and convenience
- Enhanced blade life
- Easy maintenance
- Ergonomic features
- Comfort and accuracy
- As it is cumbersome, the user might take some time to adjust to the unit
- Should maintain it as per instructions so those components will not erode
2. Makita XBP02Z Porta Band Saw
If you would like to achieve fast and accurate cutting, you can go for Makita XBP02Z portable band saw. This metal cutting unit can deliver 630 ft per minute in a very efficient manner. The weight of the unit is 7.5 lbs. There will be a convenient operation so that you can make the most of your investment. The blade outside the cutting area is covered with the blade wheel cover. The unit is suitable for one-handed operation. The work area is illuminated with built-in LED light. The durability is very much enhanced with the protective bumper design.
The unit is 27 percent less weight than the other competitors. There will be a significant advantage when you cut in place or overhead. The unit meets the ANSI 6745-2-20. The dimensions of the unit are 14″ x 23″ x 11″. There are two handles, and the battery is not included with the kit. The manufacturer provides the best customer support so that you can make the most of your investment.
- It is a compact handheld band saw
- Cordless band saw
- Built-in LED light
- Tool-less blade change system
- Protection of material with adjustable foot
- Good for metal cutting
- Higher price range
3. DEWALT DCS371B Cordless
The Lithium-Ion porta band saw with bare tool effortlessly delivers excellent performance. The unit is prepared to enhance ergonomic capabilities. There will be a superior performance with the central handle. The LED light with a 20-second delay delivers an excellent performance so that you will be able to work in areas where light exposure is shallow.
There will be less user fatigue, and more accurate cuts can be managed. The integrated hang hook can be used so that the unit can be hanged without damaging the front base. The blade tracking mechanism enhances the blade’s life. The blade tension is loosened with the tool-less blade changing lever. The durability is very much improved with the dual bearing blade guide rollers. The user will have great flexibility as well as comfort in handling the unit.
- Any 20 v Dewalt battery will work with the unit
- The unit can cut copper, steel, and plastic very easily
- It is easy to change blades
- Lightweight and cordless tool
- Versatile LED with 20-seconds delay feature
- Precise cutting is enabled
- Impressive battery life
- No case is provided with the unit
- Some users feel that the price is steep for a bare tool.
4. DEWALT DCS374B
This is a serious tool that is versatile, adjustable, and durable. Even though you have to buy the battery separately, it is very effective and you won’t have to do too many runs to charge it. When you stop using it, you can use the hook for easy storage, protecting the handle and base from damage.
- Using the variable speed dial you will have all control and will be able to cut all kinds of materials. For blade adjustment and alignment is has a system and the blade change is simple to do.
- The DEWALT DCS374B is best if you use it to cut metal pipes and plastic. Just make sure you put in the required blade. Charge the battery, and it will last a full day of intense work or a few weeks with moderate work.
- Some of the features include the LED light, which is not much different from other models. Thanks to the 20s delay it might be a little better.
- Because it’s a DEWALT product, the quality is great, it feels like it’s an expensive product. Great materials were used when creating this electric band saw, they are very sturdy and won’t damage as much.
- A thing we liked was the fact that you will get everything right out of the box. After you buy it, you will receive the battery, charging section, and a hard case.
- Band saw blades that are longer.
- Capacity for cutting up to 50 inches.
- T-handle that can be adjusted for balance.
- High-intensity LED lighting for use in dimly lit areas.
- Portability is made simple by the lightweight cordless design.
- Control and flexibility are provided by the variable speed setting.
- It makes use of blade tracking technology to extend the life of the blades.
- The blade that comes with it is insufficiently large.
- There is no battery or charger included with the package.
- In comparison to other models, it is a little more expensive.
- It does not have a long life span when using 3-amp batteries.
- It is large and may not be able to be accommodated in all workspaces.
5. Best Milwaukee Portable Band Saw – Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12
This is the lightest portable band saw out of all the ones on this list. You can use it anywhere because it doesn’t have a cord, so if you want ultimate portability, the Milwaukee 2429-21XC would be the perfect choice for you. It is 12 inches long and weighs 6.75 pounds.
Related: Milwaukee 6232-21 review
It has to meet a few requirements because it is supposed to be used with one hand. One requirement is the blade having a lower guard and will cover the blade outside the cutting area. Being one of the smallest, it is also one of the cheapest too.
One of the downsides of this tool is the cutting capacity of only up to 1 5/8 inches. If you want to cut rods, small pipes, or similar, it is perfect, but if you want to cut thicker things, you should look at other options.
If you want to use it for smaller projects and don’t want a big unit, this is the portable band saw to get. You will be able to cut a lot of materials as long as it’s not too thick, using the speed trigger. Also, the LED light is a great feature to help you make the cuts.
- Tiny band saw, the smallest from this list
- Cordless and extra portability
- Very cheap
- If you are not going to use it often, this is perfect and enough
- 1 5/8 cutting capacity
- Not too powerful
- Don’t get it if you are a heavy user or a professional
6. WEN 94396 for Metal
You’d like to buy an all-powerful band saw if you want to saw a lot of different materials. This is the only saw you should look at. Its ability to cut pipes, plastic, and metals is undeniable.
- The saw is explicitly designed for metal cutting, which makes it a bit different than other similar band saws.
- It stands out among the similar band saws with a more powerful motor, a wide range of speed, which makes it the fastest working tool for metal.
- There’s a clutch attached that helps you control the cutting for high precision and accurate results.
- Metal cutting band saws are often heavy. However, this one is among the most lightweight bandsaws available in the market.
- There’s an external tension lever fixed for length control and accurate cutting.
- The saw is overall compact, and its motor housing is fused into the frame to further reduce the bulkiness besides fitted power overload protection.
- There are two rubberized handles to reduce user fatigue.
- Rotation of the blades at a high rate.
- Replacement of blades is quick and simple.
- It is equipped with an adjustable front handle.
- Tension adjustment lever with a comfortable grip.
- A wide range of speeds is available (60-420 FPM).
- A clutch is used to regulate the speed of this machine.
- The cutting capacity of this band saw is exceptionally high.
- A larger amount of mounting space is required.
- It consumes a greater amount of electrical energy.
- It is not capable of locking for continuous cutting.
- It does not include a battery. You will have to buy one on your own.
- Its blade is prone to breaking when it comes into contact with certain metals.
7. BAUER 10 Amp Deep Cut
Accurate cuts are frequently aided by balance and stability. When shopping, it’s crucial to test out your tool to get a sense of stability. It was created to the best of the manufacturers’ abilities to ensure that it is a pleasant tool.
The power aids in the completion of the task and this tool was meticulously considered. It is powered by a 10AMP and has speed-dialed settings ranging from 0 to nearly 420 5.4. This makes it one of the most efficient, robust, and long-lasting tools you’ll ever use.
As a result, the blade cutter is matched to the tool’s power. It has a maximum cutting capacity of 5 inches deep. The tool’s portability should not be a hindrance, and the designer did not fail. The tool is light, weighing only about 16 pounds, and is one of the lightest tools on the market.
The BAUER portable band saw has a unique feature that distinguishes it from other tools with ergonomic features. The extended function allows the unit to make extremely precise, clean, and perfect cuts.
- High-capacity motor.
- Cost-effective pricing.
- Cutter with a deep blade.
- It is lightweight, which makes it portable.
- High rotational speed for more efficient work.
- Ergonomic features that allow for proper balance while exerting less effort
- Not a good choice for hard labor.
- There is a high likelihood of the motor shorting, requiring frequent replacement.
8. Bosch Deep Cut Port a Band Saw GCB10-5
The GCB10-5 from Bosch weighs 14.5 pounds and has a 10 amp motor with 6 speeds. It has a cutting depth of about 4-3 / 4 inches and it includes a LED work light and a saw hook.
- The saw is made with a metallic saw that repels water and dust while protecting the motor and gear.
- It features a power cord that allows you to access high spaces when cutting.
- Its t-handle balances the saw, which makes the tough jobs that take more time quite easier.
- There’s a power lock-off button that avoids accidental operations to keep you and your material safe.
- Most saws feature a traditional drive system to run the blades, but this one has a metallic pulley gear that’s more accurate and durable.
- The most significant feature includes spark-proof motor technology that ensures the operation is quiet and cool.
- Changing blades is very simple — all you need is to turn the tension lever and change the blades with ease.
- Lightweight and portable
- For safety it has a anti-spark feature
- Easy to work with
- Great LED lights
- Precise cutting will be achieved
- No hook
- No case
Portable Band Saw Buying Guide
It is not easy to move and carry a large tabletop band saw machine. In fact, you would not think of moving it once you have set it in your shop, industry, or garage. A large band saw machines are not easy to move. That’s why now you can buy small, and lightweight cordless band saw to complete various cutting jobs. Yes, these cordless and portable band saws offer the same accuracy and performance as the tabletop band saws. These are battery-powered cutting tools, which you can buy in the market. There are some guidelines for purchasing a portable band saw, which you must follow to buy the best tool.
Consider the right type of blade.
The most important thing you should consider while buying the cordless or battery bandsaw is the type of blade. The blade is an essential component of any kind of portable band saw. Almost manufacturers provide portable band saw with 45″ blade that offers a cutting capacity of 4-1/2 inches. Ensure that the blade is robust enough to cut different materials like wood, metal, and glass. It should be easily adjustable, and it should be too thick so that you can’t see the cutting line of the subjected object. Always apply the rule of thumb, when choosing the portable band saw with a top-quality blade. You won’t choose the wrong product for the cutting job.
Always choose a battery-powered band saw.
Typically, you get two choices in the portable band saws, portable cordless band saw, and electric powered band saw. A battery powers the cordless band saws, and these can be available with a 28-volt battery. You can carry this band saw at any job site and perform the cutting job without using electric power. The small band saws can be useful in a room or space, where an electrical outlet is available; otherwise, you cannot use it. So, always invest in battery-powered portable band saws.
Speed of cutting
A top quality band saw would always allow you to change the speed of the blade to cut the subjected object perfectly. The experts would agree that different blade speed is required to cut different type’s materials like wood, metal, and so on. The speed also depends on the speed and the hardness of the material. You would not cut the same object always, and that’s why you should buy a portable band saw that offers multi-speed settings.
Safety and the work light
The cordless would always offer two handles to hold and operate the cutting tool. One handle is used for holding the machine, and another is used to manage the power knob. Such a cutting tool would be the safest tool for portable use, and it should also have a work light to provide perfect cutting.
The top class portable band saws include most of the features we have mentioned above. Another thing you should check is the price of the cutting tool. Always invest in a portable band saw, which provides the best quality, cutting experience, and which costs an affordable amount.
The selection of the best portable band saw should be done based on your requirements and priorities. You can perform any job with the help of DEWALT DWM120K. As there are several useful functionalities, you should figure out your needs, and the most appropriate unit as per the features and budget should be selected. Before purchasing an electric band saw, you can go through the ratings provided by users so that you will settle for the best unit as per your needs. It would be best if you went through the portable band saw reviews and guides to understand about prominent features and user-friendliness of products.
The capacity, power source, brand choice, and price should be narrowed down to choose the most appropriate product to fulfill your requirements. You should opt for a battery-powered device if you are working in an inaccessible area. As you cannot manage power cables, you should go for a battery-operated portable band saw. The lightweight and compact design will let you accomplish various kinds of tasks very quickly. They will accompany your traveling kit so that you can make the most of your investment.