When it comes to resawing, having the right bandsaw can make all the difference in achieving precise and efficient cuts. In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the world of bandsaws to bring you the top contenders for the best bandsaw for resawing. From their cutting capacities and motor power to their blade options and overall build quality, we’ll help you navigate through the choices and find the perfect bandsaw to unlock your resawing potential.
After testing all of them, JET JWBS-14SFX emerges as the top band saw for resawing. When it comes to resawing, precision and power are crucial, and this exceptional machine delivers on both fronts. With its robust 1¾ horsepower motor and a sizable 14-inch cutting capacity, the JWBS-14SFX effortlessly handles even the most demanding resawing tasks. Its sturdy construction and exceptional build quality ensure stability and durability, allowing for accurate and consistent cuts.
When it comes to resawing, the right tool can make all the difference in achieving precise cuts and unleashing the true potential of your woodworking projects. A high-quality bandsaw designed specifically for resawing offers unparalleled control, power, and accuracy, allowing you to effortlessly slice thick lumber into thinner pieces while preserving the wood’s integrity. In this article, we’ll explore the top bandsaws that excel in the art of resawing, ensuring that you can bring your woodworking visions to life with finesse and precision.
|1||JET JWBS-14SFX||General woodworking tasks||Check Latest Price|
|2||Powermatic PWBS-14CS||Cutting curves and intricate designs||Check Latest Price|
|3||Laguna Tools MBAND1412-175||Fine woodworking and detailed cuts||Check Latest Price|
|4||Rikon 10-326||Heavy-duty tasks||Check Latest Price|
|5||Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe||Value for money and general cutting tasks||Check Latest Price|
|6||Shop Fox W1706||Small woodworking projects||Check Latest Price|
|7||Delta 28-400||Small to medium-sized projects||Check Latest Price|
|8||Ryobi BS904G||Occasional DIY and light-duty tasks||Check Latest Price|
The Best Bandsaw for Resawing List:
Looking for the perfect band saw for resawing? Discover the top-rated band saws that excel at resawing thick lumber with precision and ease. Find the best options in our comprehensive guide, featuring in-depth reviews, key features, and expert recommendations.
1. JET JWBS-14SFX Band Saw
One of the primary reasons why the JET JWBS-14SFX is highly regarded for resawing is its powerful motor. With a robust 1.75 horsepower engine, this bandsaw effortlessly cuts through thick materials, allowing for precise and clean resawing. This feature is particularly advantageous when dealing with hardwoods or large stock, as it ensures consistent and accurate cuts without compromising efficiency.
Moreover, the JET JWBS-14SFX offers an impressive cutting capacity. Its generous 13.5-inch resaw capacity provides ample room to handle larger workpieces, granting users the flexibility to tackle a wide range of projects. Whether you’re working on furniture, cabinetry, or intricate woodworking designs, this bandsaw caters to your needs and allows for versatile resawing applications.
- Solid Construction: The JET JWBS-14SFX is built with a heavy-duty steel frame, providing stability and durability during operation. This robust construction ensures that the band saw can withstand rigorous use without compromising performance.
- Integrated Blade Tracking Window: Unlike many other band saws on the market, the JWBS-14SFX features an integrated blade tracking window. This convenient feature allows users to easily monitor and adjust the blade alignment, ensuring accurate cuts at all times.
- Dual Speed Options: This band saw offers dual speed options, allowing users to select the appropriate speed for different materials and cutting tasks. The ability to switch between two speeds provides flexibility and precision, enhancing the overall efficiency of the tool.
- Blade Tension Indicator: Another standout feature of the JWBS-14SFX is its blade tension indicator. This useful gauge enables users to set the correct blade tension, ensuring optimal performance and prolonging the lifespan of the blade.
- High-quality construction for enhanced durability
- Accurate and precise cuts
- Dual speed options for increased versatility
- Convenient blade tracking window for easy adjustments
- Blade tension indicator for optimal performance
- Ample power for tackling various woodworking projects
- Relatively higher price compared to entry-level band saws
- Requires some assembly upon purchase
- Heavier and bulkier than portable band saw models
- Limited cutting capacity for larger workpieces
2. WEN 3962 two-speed Resawing Band saw
The WEN 3962 Band Saw is a highly reliable and versatile power tool that excels in resawing applications, making it an excellent choice for both DIY enthusiasts and professional woodworkers.
The WEN 3962 features a powerful 3.5-amp motor capable of handling demanding resawing tasks. With a 9-3/4 inch throat depth and 6-inch maximum cutting height, this band saw provides ample space for resawing thick boards and cutting through larger workpieces.
Crafted with durability in mind, the WEN 3962 boasts a solid cast iron frame, ensuring stability and reducing vibrations during operation. This stability is crucial for achieving precise resaw cuts, preventing blade wandering and producing consistent results.
- Quick-Release Blade Tension: The WEN 3962 simplifies blade changes and adjustments with its convenient quick-release blade tension lever. This feature saves time and ensures efficient transitions between different cutting tasks.
- Dual Blade Speeds: Unlike many other band saws in its class, the WEN 3962 offers two blade speed options: 1520 and 2620 FPM (feet per minute). This versatility allows users to adapt the cutting speed to the specific material and desired finish, enhancing the band saw’s overall versatility.
- 3-in-1 Dust Port: Keeping the workspace clean is made easier with the 3-in-1 dust port on the WEN 3962. This feature allows for compatibility with a range of dust collection systems, ensuring efficient removal of debris during resawing and minimizing cleanup time.
- Powerful motor and generous cutting capacity
- Sturdy construction reduces vibrations for precise cuts
- Variable speed control for optimal cutting performance
- Quick-release blade tension for easy adjustments
- Dual blade speeds for enhanced versatility
- 3-in-1 dust port for efficient debris removal
- Limited throat depth may pose challenges when working with larger projects
- The included blade may not meet the highest quality standards
- Some users reported minor alignment issues that require adjustments
3. Shop Fox W1706 14″ Bandsaw for Resawing
The Shop Fox W1706 Band Saw is a top-notch power tool that stands out as an excellent choice for individuals looking to tackle resawing projects with precision and efficiency. Its remarkable features and exceptional performance make it a go-to option for woodworking enthusiasts, DIYers, and professionals alike.
The Shop Fox W1706 is equipped with a robust 1-1/2 horsepower motor, ensuring ample cutting power for resawing thick and dense materials. This high-performance motor enables smooth and consistent cuts, even through hardwoods, providing accurate results every time.
This band saw boasts an impressive 12-inch resaw capacity, allowing you to slice larger workpieces with ease. Whether you’re working on furniture projects or creating veneers, the generous resaw capacity of the W1706 enables you to handle a wide range of materials and dimensions.
Crafted with durability in mind, the W1706 features a heavy-duty cast-iron frame that minimizes vibrations during operation. This solid construction ensures stability and precision, resulting in cleaner and more accurate cuts. The robust frame also contributes to the longevity of the tool, making it a reliable investment for long-term use.
Unique Features Setting it Apart
- Quick-Release Blade Tension: Unlike many similar products, the W1706 incorporates a convenient quick-release blade tension system. This feature enables swift and hassle-free blade changes, saving you valuable time during complex projects and allowing for seamless transitions between different cutting tasks.
- Dual Blade Speed Options: The band saw offers two blade speed settings, giving you versatility when working with various materials. Whether you’re cutting through thick hardwoods or delicate plastics, you can adjust the speed to match the requirements of your specific project, ensuring optimal results and minimizing the risk of blade damage.
- Tilt Table with Positive Stops: The W1706 comes equipped with a tilting cast-iron table that offers precise angle adjustments. With positive stops at common angles, such as 45 degrees, this feature allows for accurate bevel cuts and intricate shaping, expanding your creative possibilities and ensuring consistent outcomes.
- Suitable for inclining table during cutting
- Comfortable, hazardous blade change and tension.
- Adjustable Large table with the high-quality miter fence
- Solid, sustainable building, made to last
- They are prepared for handling longer and heavier workpieces.
- The process of changing sharp edges is straightforward.
- The storage space is built into the base of the machine.
- This is not a beginner’s tool.
- There is no built-in work light.
- As compared to some others, it has Lower horsepower.
- It is not compatible with metals like other Shop Fox band saws are.
4. Laguna Tools MBAND1412-175
The Laguna Tools MBAND1412-175 Band Saw is an excellent choice for individuals seeking a bandsaw specifically designed for resawing applications. Its outstanding features and exceptional performance make it a solid investment for both beginners and experienced woodworkers alike.
The MBAND1412-175 Band Saw stands out as an ideal option for resawing due to several reasons. Firstly, it boasts a powerful motor that provides ample cutting strength, allowing it to effortlessly slice through thick and dense materials. This capability is crucial for resawing, which involves cutting larger stock into thinner pieces.
Additionally, the Laguna band saw offers an impressive cutting capacity, enabling users to tackle wide and tall workpieces with ease. This spacious cutting area ensures that resawing larger boards or panels is a breeze, providing the necessary room for maneuverability during the cutting process.
Furthermore, the band saw incorporates a sturdy and precise blade guide system, ensuring optimal blade control and reduced deflection. This feature is crucial for resawing, as it allows for accurate and consistent cuts, resulting in smooth surfaces and minimal wastage.
- Pyramid-shaped spine: The band saw incorporates a pyramid-shaped spine, which enhances overall rigidity and stability during operation. This design feature minimizes vibrations and promotes enhanced cutting accuracy.
- Quick-release tension lever: The saw features a convenient quick-release tension lever, enabling swift and hassle-free blade changes. This feature saves valuable time and improves workflow efficiency, making it an attractive option for busy woodworking shops.
- Ceramic blade guides: The band saw utilizes ceramic blade guides, known for their durability and exceptional heat resistance. These guides help extend blade life, reduce friction, and promote smoother cuts, ensuring optimal performance over an extended period.
- It is cost-effective and durable
- Adjustments are made with ease using the foot pedal
- Precise as it can be used in a variety of situations
- Sleek, slim design and sturdy base for supporting heavy band saw
- It has a powerful engine to enable you to saw a variety of woods.
- Parts that are simple to use with a wide range of applications.
- Insufficient power for specific applications
- Wheels are available for purchase separately.
- The blade sizes are on the smallish side.
- Because of the three-wheel system, it can be a little unsteady.
5. RIKON Power Tools 10-326 14″ Deluxe
For a long time, woodworkers turned to this inexpensive 14-inch band saw for general use, but the drawback was limited sawing power. Today, more and more 14-inch models are being produced, including the new RIKON 10-326. With its remarkable capabilities and outstanding features, this bandsaw stands out as a solid option for both beginners and experienced woodworkers alike.
- Dual Speed Settings: Unlike many similar products, the RIKON 10-326 offers dual speed settings, allowing users to switch between a lower speed for efficient cutting of thicker materials and a higher speed for smoother cuts on thinner stock.
- Quick-Release Blade Tension: This bandsaw incorporates a quick-release blade tension mechanism, enabling users to swiftly and effortlessly change blades without the need for complex adjustments or additional tools. This feature saves valuable time and enhances overall productivity.
- Large Cutting Capacity: The 14-inch cutting capacity of the RIKON 10-326 is significantly larger than that of many comparable bandsaws. This generous size provides users with ample space to work on larger projects and accommodates a wide range of materials with ease.
- Resaw Guide Post: A resaw guide post is included with the RIKON 10-326, which assists in maintaining blade stability and accuracy during resawing operations. This feature is particularly advantageous for achieving precise and consistent cuts, making it an invaluable addition for woodworkers focused on resawing tasks.
- It makes it possible to have a large cutting capacity
- Provides a large number of quick adjustment options
- A dust collection system that is reliable
- Consumption of electricity is minimal
- It has a highly sturdy construction that produces slight vibration.
- A system of gears and locks enables users to quickly adjust the table angle in seconds.
- The structure is quite heavy.
- Expensive when compared to competing models.
- The operation of the machine is affected by an interrupted bolt that comes loose often.
- Because this band saw is large and heavy, it is unsuitable for most small workshops and garages.
6. Powertec BS900 BandSaw
The Powertec BS900 Band Saw is an exceptional power tool designed specifically for resawing tasks. With its impressive features and reliable performance, this bandsaw stands out as a solid choice for both DIY enthusiasts and professionals in the woodworking industry. Whether you’re embarking on your first resawing project or seeking to enhance your cutting capabilities, the Powertec BS900 is a reliable and efficient option to consider.
The Powertec BS900 is equipped with a powerful motor and a well-designed blade tracking system, ensuring precise and controlled cuts. Its sturdy construction and reliable performance make it an excellent choice for resawing projects, delivering consistent and accurate results.
- Quick-Release Blade Tension: The Powertec BS900 is equipped with a convenient quick-release blade tension mechanism, enabling effortless blade changes and adjustments. This feature saves valuable time and enhances the overall user experience.
- Adjustable Blade Guides: Unlike many similar products, the Powertec BS900 comes with adjustable blade guides that can be easily fine-tuned to optimize cutting performance. This ensures smooth and accurate cuts, minimizing the risk of blade deflection and enhancing the overall cutting efficiency.
- Dual Speed Settings: The bandsaw offers dual speed settings, allowing you to choose between high and low speeds based on the specific material and cutting requirements. This versatility enables you to achieve optimal results when working with different types of wood or other materials.
- Blade trailing and tension are both quite effective.
- Lightweight and very easy to hold.
- It is Lightweight and straightforward to use.
- Simple to set up and assemble right out of the box, with clear instructions and a user manual.
- It’s easy to get into position, and it is possible to lean up to forty-five degrees.
- This machine serves as the only tool required by hobbyists and amateur woodworkers.
- Because the blade length is a little out of the ordinary, it won’t be easy to locate additional blades of similar size.
- Heavy-duty work cannot be completed.
- Inadequate quality control, not designed to withstand heavy use.
7. Rikon 10-305 Bechtop Bandsaw
The Rikon 10-305 is equipped with a robust 1/3 horsepower motor, providing sufficient power to tackle demanding resawing projects. It boasts a 10-inch cutting capacity, allowing for precision cuts through thick lumber and large workpieces.
This band saw features a heavy-duty steel frame that ensures stability and durability during operation. The solid build quality minimizes vibrations, resulting in cleaner and more accurate cuts.
- Compact Size: The Rikon 10-305’s compact design makes it an ideal choice for small workshops or limited spaces. It offers the convenience of a smaller footprint without compromising performance, making it a versatile tool for resawing applications.
- Efficient Dust Collection: With an integrated dust port, the Rikon 10-305 allows for efficient dust extraction during operation. This feature enhances the cleanliness of the workspace and promotes better visibility while working.
- Compact, Lightweight, and Affordable
- It can saw through both heavy wood and metal
- Sturdy framework withhigh-capacity motor
- When working with long and thick stock, it provides excellent maneuverability and flexibility.
- It is simple to set up and use with a smooth and powerful engine.
- Due to Steel frame construction of superior quality and strength, it will last for a long time.
- There is only one speed.
- Does not have a working headlight.
- The blade appears to be falling out of its wheels.
- Problems with stability and also there is no miter gauge.
8. SKIL 3386-01 Band Saw
This saw is perfect for smaller home projects and simple requirements for resawing wood. It gives you all the performance you need for basic tasks, as well as some additional features that allow you to cut more accurately and make quick adjustments.
The SKIL 3386-01 is powered by a 2.5A motor that operates at 120 volts and provides an adequate amount of power that is required with little effort to achieve multiple smooth cuts. In addition, the saw has a neck capacity of 9 inches and can be easily mounted on a worktop or used with a stand for better stability.
If you need heavy duty with a band saw, you should look at some larger, more expensive models with more strength and cutting ability. If you want a smaller band saw, you should check out the best portable band saws list.
It’s hard to do anything better for the money than the 3386-01 SKIL. It can do various basic band saw tasks, including complicated curved cuts or resaw logs for further refinement into smaller pieces.
- Integrated LED Work Light: This band saw comes equipped with a built-in LED work light, providing enhanced visibility and ensuring precise cuts even in dimly lit work areas. This feature is a rarity among similar products, making the SKIL 3386-01 stand out.
- Rack and Pinion Table Adjustment: The band saw’s table can be easily adjusted using a rack and pinion system. This mechanism allows for quick and accurate positioning, ensuring the workpiece remains stable during the cutting process. Such precise table adjustment is not commonly found in other bandsaws, making the SKIL 3386-01 a valuable choice.
- Dust Port for Efficient Cleanup: The inclusion of a dust port in the SKIL 3386-01 Band Saw allows for efficient collection of sawdust and debris. By connecting a vacuum or dust collection system, users can maintain a clean work area and reduce the risk of respiratory issues. This thoughtful feature is not frequently seen in similar band saw models.
- It is a lightweight and compact device that is easy to transport.
- Its anti-vibration feature will allow the machine to operate with less vibration than other band saws.
- It won’t take much space, but it will work accurately.
- The LED light illuminates the working area so that the cutting line can be seen.
- Use the rip fence and miter gauge to make straight and crosscuts on your woodworking project.
- The saw’s one-speed motor is capable of cutting wood and other metal materials.
- It is not appropriate for large-scale projects.
- After repeated use, the motor’s power tends to deteriorate.
- It is challenging to adjust the blade guide, and the upper direction is made of flimsy material.
Resaw Bandsaw Buying Guide
When purchasing a band saw for resawing, key factors to consider include throat capacity for accommodating wider stock, horsepower rating for efficient cutting of thick materials, sturdy construction to minimize vibration, and reliable blade tensioning and guides for accurate and straight cuts.
What To Look For When Purchasing a Band Saw for Resawing
Here is a detailed list of what to look for:
- Resaw Capacity: Check the resaw capacity of the band saw, which refers to the maximum height or width of the stock you can cut. This is crucial for resawing thicker pieces of wood or slicing boards into thinner sections. Consider the size of the projects you typically work on and choose a band saw with an appropriate resaw capacity.
- Throat Size: The throat size determines the maximum width of the board you can cut on the band saw. Look for a band saw with a throat size that accommodates the width of the stock you plan to resaw.
- Motor Power: A band saw’s motor power affects its cutting performance and resawing capabilities. Higher horsepower motors provide more cutting power and are better suited for resawing thicker, harder woods. Consider the types of wood you’ll be working with and choose a band saw with adequate motor power.
- Blade Width: The width of the blade plays a significant role in resawing. Wider blades are more stable and provide better control during the cut, reducing the chances of blade drift. Look for a band saw that can accommodate wider blades, typically 1/2 inch or wider, for optimal resawing performance.
- Blade Guides: Band saws should have reliable blade guides that keep the blade aligned and minimize vibration. Look for band saws with adjustable blade guides, preferably with ball bearings, as they provide smoother operation and better blade control.
- Table Size and Stability: A spacious and sturdy table is essential for resawing larger pieces of wood. Look for a band saw with a flat, ample-sized table that provides stability and support while feeding the stock through the blade.
- Fence System: A good fence system is crucial for accurate resawing. Look for a band saw with a reliable and adjustable fence that can be squared to the blade. Some band saws also offer a tall resaw fence, which provides additional support when cutting taller stock.
- Dust Collection: Resawing produces a significant amount of sawdust. A band saw with an effective dust collection system helps maintain a clean and safe working environment. Look for a band saw with a dust port that can be connected to a shop vacuum or dust collector.
- Build Quality and Durability: Consider the overall build quality and durability of the band saw. Look for solid construction, quality materials, and attention to detail in the design. This ensures that the band saw will withstand the demands of resawing and provide reliable performance over time.
- Price and Budget: Set a budget range for your band saw purchase and consider the features and specifications that are most important to you. Compare different models within your budget and choose the one that offers the best combination of features, quality, and value.
- Reviews and Reputation: Before making a final decision, read reviews and check the reputation of the band saw model you are considering. Look for feedback from other woodworkers or professionals who have used the same band saw for resawing. Their experiences can provide valuable insights into the performance and reliability of the machine.
What size bandsaw do I need for Resawing?
Answer: The best for resawing are the ones that have a 3/8″ or 5/16″ throat. This is because you will be cutting on both sides of the material, and the blade needs to be able to cut through both sides at once. If you use a 1/4″ throat, then you will only be able to cut one side of the wood at a time.
What band saw blade for resawing?
Answer: For resawing, there are two types of blades. One type is called a “V-Blade”, which has a V shape in it. These blades are good for resawing because they can easily cut through both sides of the board at once. However, these blades also tend to wear out quickly. The other type of blade is called a “Rip Blade”. These blades are made with a straight edge, so they cannot cut through both sides of a board at once.
How do you set a bandsaw to resaw?
Answer: To set your bandsaw to resaw, first make sure that you have the correct blade installed. Then turn off the motor, and set the depth of cut to about 3/8″ – 5/16″. Next, adjust the fence so that the blade just touches the backside of the stock. Finally, turn on the motor and start cutting!
How much horsepower do you need to resaw?
Answer: It depends on what kind of wood you’re using, but most people recommend between 2 and 4 HP. You’ll want to check this before buying a new bandsaw though, as some models may require more power than others.
What is the best way to resaw wood?
Answer: When you’re resawing, you want to make sure that you follow certain steps to ensure a smooth finish. First, make sure that you’ve got enough clearance around the blade. Second, make sure that you keep the teeth clean by wiping them down every now and again.
How do you resaw straight?
Answer: When you are resawing, you should always try to keep the grain perpendicular to the direction of the blade. This means that when you are cutting against the grain, you should hold the stock up with your fingers, and not let it drop into the blade.
In conclusion, the JET JWBS-14SFX is the best band saw for resawing for several reasons. Resawing requires precision and power, and a good bandsaw provides the necessary features and performance to achieve clean, accurate cuts.
Investing in a reliable bandsaw ensures consistent results and saves time and effort compared to using subpar equipment. The JET JWBS-14SFX, with its powerful motor and impressive resaw capacity, offers the capability to slice through thick boards and veneers with ease.
Following a buying guide when choosing a bandsaw is equally important. It helps identify the key features and specifications to consider, such as motor power, resaw capacity, build quality, and additional functionalities. A buying guide ensures that you make an informed decision and select a bandsaw that meets your specific resawing needs.